Windows

John Piper window – The Annunciation - in the Lady Chapel

This window was commissioned in 1980 and is by John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens and depicts the Annunciation and was inspired by Botticelli's painting of the same subject in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.

The feast of the Annunciation marks the visit of the angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary, during which he told her that she would be the mother of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

The festival celebrates:

  • God's action in entering the human world as Jesus in order to save humanity
  • Humanity's willing acceptance of God's action in Mary's freely given acceptance of the task of being the Mother of God.
  •  

 

The East Window

The beautiful East Window is of Our Lord, as the Good Shepherd, flanked by St Peter and St Paul and was the gift in 1861 of the Revd Matthew Thursby (Rector 1847 - 1869) and his brothers in memory of their father John Harvey Thursby IV.

It was made by Heaton, Butler & Bayne of Covent Garden, London. Their windows show strong design and colour and were one of the leading firms of Gothic Revival stained glass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

South transept

This attractive stained glass window in the Thursby Chapel is in the arts and crafts style and was installed early in 1990 by a parishioner in memory of his late wife, Elizabeth Stewart, a local hair-stylist.


Building
Webpage icon A Short Tour
Webpage icon Abington Church - its building and history
Webpage icon Churchyard awarded Silver Gilt
Webpage icon Pulpit, Font and Lectern
Webpage icon The Shakespeare Connection
Webpage icon The Thursby Memorial